Thursday, May 17, 2012

Reaction to Japan and Changing Impressions via Visual Anthropology


My nationality is Japan. I was born in Japan and raised in Japan; however, I realized that I am not "Real Japanese". Before I take Visual Anthropology class, I thought that I know about my own country well because I am native anthropologist. But what I was looking at was only one side of Japan. Since I have been living in Japan for 19 years, I was only looking at bad side of Japan. When it comes to think about Japan, what always came up to mind was about political issues. Japanese government kept changing Japanese prime minister every year and I was always shamed about it. As other example, Japanese people use Honne and Tatemae when we talk, and I didn't like the way. I always wondered why all international students are in Japan? Why did they choose Japan to study? What is good things about Japan? I always wanted to leave Japan as soon as possible.




Vietnam

This is a pic from when I went to Vietnam with my friend.

However, that attitudes changed through Visual Anthropology class. Through the class, I learned how to observe my country from other perspective. Moreover, I realized that I knew nothing about Japan by interacting with international students in KGU. They knew about Japan more that I do and that surprised me. After theclass started, I learned that there are also good things in Japan. Through the discussion in Japan and other people's blog, I realized Japan is much safer than other countries. I wouldn't be worried at all even if I leave my purse and my bag. It might be small thing, but I am satisfied that I could find good thing annout Japan. Also, I felt that we need Honne and Tatemae when we talk. I felt that people from other countries talk too directly. I realized that the way Japanese talk is much better than talking too directly. Even though there are many things that Japanese should improve. Japanese people are influenced by K-POP too much. So am I. I am Super Junuor fan.
Huge fan. After all, I appriciate that I could find good side about Japan. Now I know much better about Japan than before.
Super Junior's concert at Tokyo Dome



I could not take a pic of all the goods I have

When I created a blog as an assignment, I named "Japanize Me", hoping that I can get to know better about my own country. and that successed.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you were able to grow and change during the course of the semester. This is a perfect example of sharing emic and etic perspectives to come up with a better understanding. Thank you for your efforts.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.